May 23, 2024  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Financial Information




408 Culkin Hall

All students attending Oswego must pay tuition and the College Fee. In addition, all students must pay the Student Association Fee assessed by the Student Government. This fee covers organization dues, subscription to student publications including the yearbook, and admissions to special lectures, concerts, sports events, and other student activities. The Health, Athletic, and Technology Fees are mandatory. The remaining charges shown on the fee schedule depend upon the student’s choice of living accommodations, class status, and choice of courses. Certain laboratory and studio courses, and some courses with field trips, etc. require an additional instruction fee.

The College has a policy requiring all full-time students to have health insurance. To meet the needs of uninsured students a health insurance policy is available. This policy is designed to meet the needs of students at a reasonable price and will supplement services provided by the Mary Walker Health Center. All full-time students will see the charge for this insurance reflected on their bill. This charge can be removed from the student’s account by returning a completed waiver form and copy of insurance card to the Auxiliary Services Office, 507 Culkin Hall.

The cost of books and supplies, recreation, travel and other variable or discretionary expenses are not billed; however, such expenses must be considered by students in planning a realistic budget. Tuition and fee schedule may also be viewed on the Student Accounts website, click on Tuition and Fees.



Tuition for New York state residents, matriculating on a full-time basis, is $6,670.00 per year for 2017-2018. Tuition for non-New York State residents, matriculated, full-time undergraduate students is $16,320.00 per year for 2017-2018. The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Supplemental Tuition Programs (SUSTA) are available for qualified students to offset some or all tuition charges. See Financial Aid for application process.

Tuition for undergraduate New York State residents, attending on a part-time basis is $278.00 per credit hour. The rate for non-New York State residents is $680.00 per credit hour. In addition to the above, a College Fee of $0.85 per credit hour is assessed.

Tuition for non-matriculating students is dependent on the level of the course taken. All non-matriculating students who take 12 credit hours or more are charged the full-time resident or nonresident semester rate for the Fall and Spring term. During the summer term there is no tuition cap. Use the per credit hour rate to determine the tuition charge. Tuition and fee schedule may also be viewed on the Student Accounts web page, click on Tuition and Fees.

New York State Residency

Physical presence in New York State does not constitute legal residence in the State. A college student cannot gain resident status unless it can be clearly established that the student’s previous domicile has been abandoned and a new one established in New York for a minimum period of 12 months prior to the start of the semester. Individuals do not meet the residency requirement if domiciled in New York State for the sole purpose of attending college. The domicile of a minor is, unless emancipated, that of the minor’s parents. Proof of emancipation must include evidence of financial independence. Applications for resident status are available in the Student Accounts Office or on the Student Accounts web page. Applications must be submitted to the Student Accounts Office before the last day to register for classes in the semester for which the student is applying. Failure to provide requested documentation to support resident status, upon request from the Student Accounts Office, will result in a denial of the application. For more information please refer to the Student Accounts web page, click on NYS Residency.

Payment of tuition, fees, room and board are due and payable prior to the first day of scheduled classes, unless covered by an authorized deferment. Authorized deferments include Tuition Assistance Awards; State University Supplemental Tuition Assistant awards, and other awards as authorized by the Chief Administrative Officer of the College or said officer’s designee. All costs and fees are those currently in effect and are subject to change prior to registration.

The Student Accounts Office directs all financial correspondence, statements, billings and receipts to students.

Notice Regarding Non-Payment of Obligations

If payment is not received for obligations due SUNY Oswego, this agency is required to pursue other collection alternatives pursuant to Chapter 55 of the Laws of State Attorney General’s Office, or the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. In addition, state agencies are authorized to charge interest on the outstanding debt at the current corporate underpayment rate minus four percent (4%) set by the Commissioner of Taxation and Finance, compounded daily, on accounts considered past due. Chapter 55 allows state agencies to charge a fee on dishonored checks or like instruments.

In addition, the New York State Attorney General’s Office and SUNY Central Administration have reached an agreement which requires adding interest and collection fees on past due debt. Students are liable for interest, late fees, a collection fee of up to 22%, and other penalties on past due debt. Collection fees will be added to new past due debts transferred from this campus to the Attorney General or private collection agencies.

These terms and rates may be modified, without prior notice, as required by Legislative action or Board of Trustees’ action.

State Debt Collection Laws Affecting All Past Due Debts Owed To The State Of New York


Certain state laws that became effective on January 1, 1993 have granted additional enforcement powers to New York State agencies for collection of non-tax debts. These laws have augmented those codes and regulations that previously existed within the State University of New York. If a student has a current or outstanding debt with the University, the student is strongly urged to settle the matter immediately. Important Provisions include the following:

Interest Or Penalty On Overdue Non-Tax Debt – State Finance Law § 18

State agencies are authorized to assess interest or late payment penalty charges on overdue debts.

Collection Fee - State Finance Law § 18

State agencies or their representatives may charge collection fees to cover the estimated costs of processing, handling and collecting delinquent debts. The amount can be as much as 22% of the outstanding debt.

Authority to Hold Transcripts and Deny Registration – Section 302.1 (j) of Chapter V, Title 8 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations

No student shall receive credit or other official recognition for work completed satisfactorily, or be allowed to register, until all tuition, fees and all other charges authorized by State University have been paid or University student loan obligations have been satisfied.

Referral of the Debt to the Tax Department – State Tax Law § 171-f

State agencies are authorized to certify to the Department of Taxation and Finance that past due legally enforceable debts should be offset against any tax refunds, contracts or other State payments.

Returned Check Charge – State Finance Law § 19

State agencies are authorized to charge a returned check fee when a check is dishonored.

If a student wishes to avoid these measures, the student MUST make arrangements to resolve any outstanding debts as soon as possible. For questions regarding debt, please contact the Student Accounts Office at 315-312-2225.

Refund Policy


Any registered student who decides not to return must officially withdraw from the College before the beginning of the semester to avoid any financial liability. Failure to do so in a timely manner may result in a financial obligation to the State of New York. Consult the Office of the Attorney General or the State Education Law, paragraph 302.2, regarding this matter.

According to State University Administrative Policies the semester begins with the first day of classes listed in the Official College Calendar. Students who are given permission to cancel their registration shall be liable for payment of tuition in accordance with the following schedule:

Tuition Liability Schedule

(Begins 1st day of term)

Calendar Days Week # % of Tuition Liability
  1-7 1st week 0%
  8-14 2nd week 30%
  15-21 3rd week 50%
  22-27 4th week 70%
  28 on 5th week 100%

Fee Liability: Follow the tuition liability above.

Students Not Receiving Title IV funding

Fee Liability: Follow the tuition liability above.

Students must withdraw before the start of the semester to avoid liability.

Room rent is prorated after the first week of school on a quarterly basis. Contact Residence Life and Housing Office for details. Charges for board are refundable on a prorated basis for the number of weeks left in the quarter for which the student has paid. Refund details are available from the Student Accounts Office.

Students with Federal Title IV funding

Students receiving Title IV financial aid award payments and who withdraw from the College shall be obligated to return a portion of the award. Oswego determines the percentage of earned aid by taking the total number of calendar days a student is registered divided by the total number of calendar days in the semester to determine the percentage of aid the student will receive. If the calculated percentage is greater than 60% the student will receive 100% or the aid that was approved and the student was authorized to receive. Fees are nonrefundable as of the first day of classes.

Tuition Assistance and Deferment Policies


Tuition Assistance

The State University Board of Trustees has established a policy of tuition assistance whereby tuition charges may be waived in the following circumstances. All waivers must be presented at time of registration.


Up to 100 percent of the cost of tuition may be waived for employees holding full-time appointments in SUNY or CUNY Colleges or the State Research Foundation, provided the course(s) taken bear some relationship to the employee’s current job. Contact the College Provost, 702 Culkin Hall, for information.

Critic or Supervising Teachers

Teachers providing services to SUNY Oswego as supervisors of student teachers may obtain certificates entitling them to waivers. For information, contact the Chief Administrative Officer of your school system.

Graduate Assistants

Fellows, interns, graduate assistants, teaching assistants, research assistants and part-time faculty at Oswego may apply for waivers by contacting their supervising dean (Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; Dean of the School of Business; Dean of the School of Communication, Media and the Arts; or Dean of the School of Education). The waiver amount varies depending on the service performed and/or salary and may be conditioned on application for TAP assistance.

Deferment Policies

Award Deferments

Oswego requires payment in full or enrollment in the time payment plan for tuition, room, board and fees prior to the start of classes. Proof of the following awards may be used as legitimate deferments. In each of the these programs, applications must be submitted each year. Students are responsible for initiating the application process and actively pursuing all steps in the process to completion.

TAP/Child of Vet

A student award certificate, issued by the Higher Education Services Corporation for the appropriate semester at Oswego, may be presented with a bill to defer tuition to the awarded (semester) amount.

Native American Aid, VOC-VET, Rehabilitation Programs

The awarding agency must have submitted the appropriate authorization to the Student Accounts Office delineating terms of the award.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

Deferment is allowed if the loan has been approved by the NYS Department of Education.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

Deferment is allowed if the loan has been approved by the NYS Department of Education.


Students whose applications for EOP assistance have been approved by the EOP Director may defer the awarded amounts upon notification to the Director of Student Accounts by the EOP Director. Evidence that the student has applied for TAP and PELL is required.


Confirmation of the award is sent by the Financial Aid Office.

Perkins Loan

Deferment is made by the Student Accounts Office upon notification from Financial Aid that the student has accepted the award and signed a promissory note for the Perkins loan.

Private Sources

Awarding agencies must have submitted official written notification to the Student Accounts Office delineating amount and terms of the award. Awards based on grades or made payable directly to the student are not accepted.

Veteran’s Benefits

Veterans may qualify for monthly educational benefits under the Veteran’s Readjustment Benefit Act of 1966, as amended. Application is made at the Veteran’s Office. Eligible veterans may then defer that portion of their bill not covered by other financial aid. These deferments are arranged individually between the eligible veterans and the Student Accounts Office.

DMNA Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program

Student must submit DMNA Form 96-2 Certificate of Eligibility for the award to be used as a deferment against billed charges. The student is responsible for fees.

Additional Sources of Financial Assistance

Scholarship and loan funds are available through community, fraternal, church, industrial and union groups. Contact school’s guidance counselor or local library concerning resource materials. Students willing to do the research, fill out the forms and write necessary letters may find assistance from an unexpected resource.

Any student who has an excess in financial aid funding from Perkins Loan, Stafford Loans, PELL, SEOG, or TAP sources that is not needed to cover the student’s obligations to the College may receive authorization for purchases at the College Store. Students are eligible for a maximum of $600 per semester. Refunds on any unused portion of the authorization are made by the College Store.

Payment Plans

The College has its own time payment plan. It is available for the fall and/or spring semesters. Contact Student Accounts for details.



206 Culkin Hall

The Financial Aid Office at Oswego State believes that the talents, hopes and ambitions of our citizens are among the most valuable resources this nation possesses. With this thought in mind, the office continues to promote scholarship, loan, and employment opportunities for its qualified, deserving students who need assistance to attend college. The goal is to make it possible for students who would normally be deprived of a college education because of inadequate funds to attend SUNY Oswego by using strategies that access all financial aid programs. In so doing, it is essential that we adhere to federal and state legislative requirements, as well as looking at all other resources that might be available to the students through scholarship opportunities, to ensure an equitable distribution of funds.

The Financial Aid Office finds that cooperation with the student and the family is imperative. Occasionally there are situations that affect a student’s ability to pay because of changes in their personal or family’s circumstances. These situations include dropping a class, possible withdrawal and changes in income through loss of employment, death, or separation. Students are encouraged to notify our office if there are any concerns or changes in a family’s situation.

Professional and courteous staff are available to discuss issues in person, by phone, or E-mail. Information on the types of aid available, how to apply and the opportunity to check your personal awards and applications is available on the Financial Aid web page. Students are encouraged to continue their learning opportunities by promoting good fiscal sense and awareness of their financial aid status and responsibilities.

As college costs rise, more and more people are exploring the availability of financial aid. Oswego students who are New York State residents realize substantial savings by attending a state university college. In addition, there are many programs of direct financial assistance available in the form of grants, scholarships, loans and employment. Over 85% of Oswego students receive some financial aid.

The following information is provided as a general reference to financial aid at Oswego and is based on statutes, regulations and policies current at the time these materials were prepared for publication. These descriptions are, however, subject to change and there may be changes that affect you. We strongly recommend you review the Financial Aid Office website,, for additional information. Please contact the Financial Aid Office for the most current information.

Applying for Financial Aid


Applicants for Financial Aid at Oswego need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), listing Oswego, federal code number 002848, as a school authorized to receive the information. Students should apply online at  Students must apply each academic year. We highly recommend that all students complete the FAFSA. As a result of filing the FAFSA, students will receive the results of their application to review and instructions on how to make any necessary changes. Students should review the FAFSA results for accuracy and make any appropriate changes.

If the Financial Aid Office needs additional information from students and their family, they will be notified and told the necessary information and documents to submit.

Students should keep copies of the completed FAFSA, all tax forms and all correspondence and documentation used in completing the FAFSA in case corrections are needed or verification of information is required.

Financial Aid Award Process


All financial aid is awarded in a fair and equitable manner in accordance with all Federal, State and College regulations and guidelines.

The Financial Aid Office will begin sending award letters to prospective students beginning on or about January 2. We will begin sending letters to continuing students on or about March 1. The award letter will indicate all aid the student is eligible for and outline how to accept certain types of aid. It is important to follow any instructions on the award letter in a timely manner. Oswego always has more students needing funds than there is money available. Awards that are not accepted in a timely fashion, as defined in the award notice, are canceled and offered to other students. Consideration for discretionary funds is given to our neediest students and those who apply by March 1.

All applicants will be considered for the Federal PELL Grant and the Federal Direct Stafford Loan. Students who have filed the FAFSA by February 15 (November 15 for spring admissions) will also receive priority consideration for Federal Work Study, and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants. If tax information is not going to be available by February 1, applicants should complete the FAFSA with estimated information. If applicants use estimated information, they will need to provide actual information as soon as it is available. New York State residents will be given the opportunity to complete the electronic TAP Application for New York’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) when completing the FAFSA. Oswego’s TAP code is 0935.

As part of the financial aid award letter, students will receive instructions on how to obtain information about all programs they have been awarded, the conditions of all awards, cost of attendance information and other information necessary for them to make the best decisions and choices.

If accepting a Federal Direct Stafford Loan for the first time, student will receive information on how to complete the electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) and loan entrance counseling. These instructions will be mailed to students beginning in June before their first semester. This process should be completed as soon as possible so there is time for the loan to be approved before the college bill is due.

For New York State residents, student TAP and Excelsior Scholarship awards will likely be estimated by Oswego on the award letter. The New York State Higher Education Assistance Corporation will begin to process TAP and Excelsior applications each year after the New York State budget has been signed. Award notices will be mailed directly to the student.



About thirty percent of all applicants will be selected for verification. If selected, students will receive a Verification Worksheet and a request for copies of income related documentation. All aid processing will be held up until this information is received. A student’s eligibility for assistance can be changed by the verification process. Students may be asked to document their citizenship and/or Selective Service registration status.

Formal withdrawal, drop or failure to complete the term

Students who have federal financial aid and withdraw, drop hours or stop attending classes during the term may have their awards adjusted and the appropriate amounts returned to the programs according to the federal redistribution formula in effect. We closely follow the Federal Return of Title IV funds calculations and return aid to the programs as required. All students considering changes to their enrollment status, should contact the Financial Aid Office  before doing so.

Statement of Educational Purpose

Recipients of federal financial aid must be matriculated and are required to sign a Statement of Educational Purpose on the FAFSA. The content of the current statement is:
All of the information provided by me or any other person on this form is true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I understand that this application is being filed jointly by all signatories. If asked by an authorized official, I agree to give proof of the information that I have given on this form. I realize that this proof may include a copy of my U.S. or state income tax return. I also realize that if I do not give proof when asked, the student may be denied aid.

I certify that I will use any Federal Title IV, HEA funds I receive during the award year covered by this application solely for expenses related to my attendance at the institution of higher education that determined or certified my eligibility for those funds.

I understand that I may not receive any Federal Title IV, HEA funds if I owe an overpayment on any Title IV educational grant or loan or am in default on a Title IV educational loan unless I have made satisfactory arrangements to repay or otherwise resolve the overpayment or default. I also understand that I must notify my school if I do owe an overpayment or am in default.

Transfer Students

Students who have attended a post secondary institution prior to attending Oswego will have their loan history reviewed through the National Student Loan Data Service to assure the College does not allow a student to exceed the annual and aggregate student borrowing limits.

Consortium Arrangements

Students wishing to receive financial aid for courses taken at or through another campus must file a Consortium Agreement (available from the Financial Aid Office) with a completed Course Approval Form from Academic Affairs in addition to meeting all other eligibility criteria. Consortia are not usually available for summer study.  Students will be required to provide proof of course completion and final grades.

Study Abroad

Students may be eligible for funding while attending an approved study abroad program. Contact the Financial Aid Office for details.

Courses must apply to program of study 

Courses that do not satisfy a requirement for the students academic program do not count toward the semester credit hour enrollment for financial aid purposes.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students receiving Title IV HEA federal financial aid are required to be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward their program completion.    These standards only apply to federal financial aid as defined below.

Federal financial aid programs at SUNY Oswego subject to these Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards include the Federal PELL Grant (PELL), Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant, Federal Work Study (FWS), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Stafford Loans and Federal Parent (PLUS) Loans.

The College is required to evaluate the progress of all students receiving federal financial aid.   If a student fails to meet the College’s Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, they are considered ineligible for all federal student aid.

To be considered eligible for federal financial aid, students must meet a cumulative qualitative measure (cumulative GPA), a cumulative quantitative measure (successful completion of a required percentage of attempted credits toward program completion) and complete their program within a maximum timeframe (150% of academic program length).

Grade Point Average (Qualitative Measure)

All undergraduate students must maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average as defined in the table below.  The student’s cumulative GPA at the College is used for this determination.

In addition, if a student receives the Federal TEACH grant, the student may need to maintain a 3.25 cumulative GPA to continue to receive the Federal TEACH grant.

Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted

Maintaining Progress

0 - 15 1.01 or greater
16 - 30 1.76 or greater
31 - 45 1.86 or greater
46 - 60 1.96 or greater
61 or more 2.0 or greater

The cumulative GPA for undergraduate students must be at least 2.0 after a student has attempted 60 credit hours.

Pace of Progress (Quantitative Measure)

All undergraduate students must complete a percentage of the credits they register for at the College as defined in the table below.

Cumulative Credit Hours Attempted

Maintaining Progress

0 - 30 > 50% completed
31 - 60 > 50% completed
61 - 90 > 67% completed
91 or more > 67% completed


Only credit hours successfully completed with a passing grade will count as completed credit hours.  All courses with a grade of “I”, “W”, and “E” are considered attempted hours, but are not considered successfully completed hours.  If for any reason a grade is changed, including incomplete (“I”) grades, a student can appeal their status with the Financial Aid Office.

Repeated Courses

All repeated courses are considered attempted hours, even if their grade is not included in the College’s cumulative GPA.

Students are only allowed to receive federal financial aid one time to repeat a course previously completed with a passing grade.

Transfer Credits

Credit hours accepted as transfer credit from a previous school, advanced placement credit, and CLEP credit will be used in the quantitative (Pace of Progress and Maximum Timeframe) measures as both attempted and completed hours.

Only grades received for courses taken at the College are included in the qualitative (GPA) measure.

Maximum Timeframe

All students receiving assistance from any federal financial aid programs identified above may not receive financial aid to attempt more than 150% of the necessary timeframe for program completion. For most students enrolled in undergraduate degree programs at the College, federal financial aid cannot be received for more than 180 total attempted credit hours toward degree completion.

Graduate students must also complete their academic program within 150% of their academic program length.

If at some point a student is deemed mathematically unable to complete their current academic program in the maximum timeframe allowed, they will be determined ineligible for federal financial aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Review Process

Academic records for all federal financial aid recipients are reviewed at the end of each term the student attends.  The Satisfactory Academic Progress evaluation looks at the student’s entire College academic record, including transfer credits, regardless if the student received federal financial aid for the previous terms of enrollment.

Students who fail to meet the qualitative (GPA) and quantitative (Pace of Program) measures noted above will be placed on Financial Aid Warning for the following semester.  Students who are allowed to continue to attend the College should use this semester to improve their academic record.  It is recommended that the student meet with their academic advisor to develop an appropriate academic plan.

Students who have reached the maximum time frame or who are determined to be mathematically unable to complete their program in the maximum timeframe are placed on Financial Aid Suspension and considered ineligible for federal financial aid for subsequent semesters.

Students who fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress standards will be notified by the Financial Aid Office after final grades for the semester are posted.  This notification will include the reason the student is considered to not be making satisfactory progress.

If applicable, the notification will include instructions and a timeline to appeal the Satisfactory Academic Progress determination.

Financial Aid Warning

If a student is placed on Financial Aid Warning for not meeting the qualitative (GPA) or quantitative (Pace of Progress) measure (s) for two consecutive semesters of attendance at the College, they will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension and considered ineligible for federal financial aid for the next semester they attend the College.

Financial Aid Warning does not apply to students who have reached the maximum time frame, or who are determined to be mathematically ineligible to complete their program in the maximum timeframe.

Re-establishing Federal Financial Aid Eligibility

Students may re-establish their eligibility for federal financial aid for one semester through the appeal process or by improving their academic record to satisfy the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.

Appeal Process

If a student is placed on Financial Aid Suspension, they will be notified of the determination and be given instructions regarding the process to petition the Financial Aid Office for the reinstatement of federal financial aid eligibility based on mitigating circumstances.

As part of the appeal process, the student must explain the reason for not maintaining satisfactory progress and document the circumstances that have changed to allow future success.

This appeal process is separate from the appeal process administered by the College’s Academic Division.  It is very possible that students may have to appeal both their academic standing and their Title IV financial aid eligibility.

Mitigating Circumstances

Reinstatement of federal financial aid eligibility will be based on the demonstrated correction of mitigating circumstances, the documentation received, and the student’s academic record. Filing an appeal does not guarantee reinstatement of federal financial aid eligibility. The appeal decision is final.

Examples of mitigating circumstances and appropriate documentation are:

1) Medical Problems (physical or mental) – Statement from your physician, hospital or professional counselor which indicates the duration of the illness, whether the medical or mental condition is under control and whether you are able to attend school;

2) Accident/Injury – The Police Report, statement from physician or hospital to support the date of your accident and/or injury, any medical problem(s) that resulted and whether you are able to attend school;

3) Death of Family Member – Loss of a family member must be documented; examples of documentation may include, but not limited to, an obituary, death certificate and/or death announcement;

4) Military Service – Provide military orders and discharge papers to identify the dates and status of your military duty;

5) Other Mitigating Circumstances – Clearly describe your mitigating circumstances, duration of the problem that you and/or your parents suffered as a result of divorce, separation, domestic violence, homelessness or any other traumatic or undue hardships. Documentation may include, but not limited to, copies of divorce or separation papers, notarized statement(s) with appropriate I.D., police reports, medical reports or letters from professional counselors and documentation indicating circumstances have improved or been resolved.

Financial Aid Probation

Financial aid probation is a status used only for federal financial aid eligibility.  Students will be placed on Financial Aid Probation only after a successful Satisfactory Academic Progress appeal based on Mitigating Circumstances.

The student will be required to regain Satisfactory Academic Progress within one semester or successfully pursue an academic plan agreed upon with the student’s academic adviser.

Failure to regain satisfactory progress or to successfully complete the approved and agreed-to academic plan after being placed on Financial Aid Probation will result in a determination that the student is not making Satisfactory Academic Progress.  The student will be placed on Financial Aid Suspension and considered ineligible for federal financial aid for subsequent terms.

Maximum PELL Semesters

Beginning July 1, 2012 students may receive a maximum of 12 full-time (or full-time equivalent) semesters of PELL Grant awards.  This includes all PELL Grant awards a student has ever received, not only awards received at the College.  Students can view their maximum PELL Grant lifetime eligibility at

Maximum Subsidized Loan Semesters

Beginning July 1, 2013 students may receive a maximum of 12 full-time (or full-time equivalent) semesters of Federal Direct Subsidized Loans.  This includes all Federal Direct Subsidized Loans a student has ever received, not only awards received at the College.  Students can view their maximum Federal Direct Subsidized Loans lifetime eligibility at

Federal Aid Programs


Federal PELL Grant

Available to—Matriculated students who have not received a Bachelor’s degree. Must be citizens or eligible non-citizens, be financially eligible, be in good academic standing and making satisfactory degree progress. Persons required to register with selective service must do so. Student may not be in default or owing a repayment on any Title IV program at any institution.

How To Apply—file a FAFSA. Be sure to list SUNY Oswego as one of the colleges authorized to receive the information.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Available to—Same as Federal PELL Grant.

Amount—This is a campus-based program; awards vary by need and availability of funds with priority to lowest family contributions and Federal PELL Grant recipients. Typical award is $500.

How To Apply—Same as Federal PELL Grant.

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH)

Available to—Undergraduate and graduate students who intend to teach in a high-need field, such as math, science, special education, foreign language and who agree to teach in a low-income school.  Students must have scored above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or have graduated from high school with at least a 3.25 GPA. If students did not score above the 75th percentile, they must maintain a 3.25 GPA throughout college to continue to receive this grant. If students fail to meet the service requirement, the TEACH Grant will have to be repaid in the form of an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest accrued from the time the student first received a TEACH Grant. For a complete list of current high-need fields and low-income schools, go to the Financial Aid Office website and review the TEACH section.

Amount-up to $4,000 per year

How to Apply-Complete the FAFSA, complete an Oswego TEACH application, complete entrance counseling, complete an Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay.  Contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance with the application process.


Federal Work-Study

Available to—Same as Federal PELL Grant.

Amount—This is a campus-based program; awards vary according to need and the funds available. All FWS jobs are paid at no less than minimum wage.

How To Apply—Same as Federal PELL Grant.

Disbursement—Bi-weekly paycheck for hours worked. May not be used as a deferment.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan

Available to—Same as Federal PELL Grant.

Amount—Undergraduates with less than 27 credit hours may borrow $3500 per year. Those with 27-56 hours are limited to $4500 annually. The annual limit for undergraduates with 57 or more hours is $5500. Graduate limit is $8500 per year. These limits include subsidized and/or unsubsidized loans.   The amount of each depends on the student’s need.  Amounts up to demonstrated need are subsidized by the federal government; amounts in excess of demonstrated need are unsubsidized (the student being responsible for the interest while in school).  In addition to these limits, students are eligible for up to $2000 in additional unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan.   Independent students and dependent students whose parents have been rejected for a PLUS loan (below) may borrow additional amounts of unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan. The additional amount may not exceed $4000 per year for the first two years and $5000 per year for the third, fourth and fifth years.

Disbursement—Loans are disbursed in two installments, at the beginning and midpoint of the loan period.

Repayment—When a student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time, a grace period begins as specified in the promissory note. For subsidized loans, payment of principal and interest begins at the expiration of the grace period. For unsubsidized loans, interest must be paid or capitalized beginning while the student is in school; payment of the principal begins at the expiration of the grace period. There are many loan repayment options available.

How To Apply—Student must complete the FAFSA, a Master Promissory Note, and loan entrance counseling. Instructions will be provided.

Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students

Available to—Parents of dependent students. Must be citizens or eligible non-citizen. Not need-based.

Amount—Cost of attendance minus all other financial aid.

Disbursement—Loan proceeds disbursed to parent borrower in two installments (at the beginning and the midpoint of the loan period) after proper school certification. The lenders deducts an origination fee.

Repayment—Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed for the academic year.

How To Apply—Student must file a FAFSA.  Parent will need to complete a parent data form for the College and a master promissory note.  Instructions will be provided.

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits

Application Procedures—Application forms, information and assistance in applying for benefits are available at all VA offices.  We recommend students contact the Financial Aid Office for assistance.

Veteran Vocational Rehabilitation

This program is for disabled veterans of various wars and conflicts.

State Programs


There are many scholarships and awards available from New York State.  Some of these programs are highlighted below.  For a complete list of New York State Scholarships and awards, go to


Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Available to—New York State residents enrolled full-time in a degree program. Must meet TAP standards of degree progress and be in good academic standing.

Amount—Awards range up to Oswego’s tuition.  Award amount based on NYS net taxable income.

How To Apply—File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the TAP Express application. Go to and then to apply.

Excelsior Scholarship

Available to—New York State residents enrolled full-time in a degree program. Go to for program financial and academic requirements and details.  Students must agree to live and work in New York State after leaving college.

Amount—Awards range up to Oswego’s tuition.  The award amount, if student is eligible, is based on other aid the student receives.

How To Apply—File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the complete the Excelsior Scholarship Application at

Regents Award for Children of Deseased or Disabled Veterans

Application Procedures—A special application, obtainable from the high school principal or counselor, must be filed with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), Albany, NY 12255. Documentary evidence to establish eligibility is required with the application. A high school counselor can provide assistance with this process.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards–The applicant must be (1) the child of a veteran who died, or who has a current disability of 50 percent or more, or who had such disability at the time of death, resulting from US military service during one of the following periods: December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946 June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953 October 1, 1961 - March 29, 1973 and (2) a legal resident of New York State. Legal residence in New York State on the part of the parent is also required at the time of entry into military service or, if the parent died as the result of military service at the time of death.

Regents awards to children of deceased or disabled veterans are independent of family income or tuition charge, and are in addition to such other grants or awards to which the applicant may be entitled.

Award Schedule—The amount of the award is $450 per year for up to five years, depending on the normal length of the program of study, of full-time study in a college or hospital nursing school in New York State.

Responsibilities of Recipients—Recipients must be in good academic standing in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations, and must not be in default of a loan guaranteed by the Higher Education Service Corporation. To receive payment, the scholarship holder must, each year, file a TAP Student Payment Application with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.

Source—New York State Higher Education, Services Corporation, Albany, NY 12255

Regents Awards for Children of Deceased Police Officers and Firefighters

Application Procedures—A special application, obtainable from the high school principal or counselor, must be filed with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), Albany, NY 12255. Documentary evidence to establish eligibility is required with the application.
Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—The applicant must be a resident child of a resident police officer, firefighter or volunteer firefighter of New York State or any of its municipalities who died as the result of an injury sustained in the line of duty.
Award Schedule—The amount of the award is $450 per year for up to five years, depending on the normal length of the program of study, of full-time study in a college or hospital nursing school in New York State.

Responsibilities of Recipients—Recipients must be in good academic standing in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations, and must not be in default of a loan guaranteed by the Higher Education Service Corporation. To receive payment, the scholarship holder must, each year, file a TAP Student Payment Application with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.

Source—New York State Higher Education, Services Corporation, Albany, NY 12255

Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award

Eligibility—Funding is available for U.S. veterans who served in Indochina between January 1, 1963, and May 7, 1975, and who received other than dishonorable discharges. Veterans must have been residents of New York State on April 20, 1984, or have been a resident of the time of entry into the service and resume residency by September 1, 1987.

Amounts—For full-time study the maximum award is $500 per semester or tuition, whichever is less. The Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award plus TAP, if eligible, cannot exceed tuition. Maximum part-time awards are $250 per semester or tuition, whichever is less.

How To Apply—Full-time applicants must complete (1) a TAP Student Payment Application, (2) a Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award Supplement and (3) a PELL Grant application. Part-time students must complete the Veterans Supplement and the PELL Grant Application (see Section II). Forms may be obtained from high school guidance offices, financial aid offices or the Higher Education Services Corporation at the address and phone listed for TAP.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

Eligibility—Applicants must be undergraduate New York State residents enrolled for 3 to 11 credit hours. Students must be in good academic standing in a degree program prior to applying for APTS. In addition, students are not eligible for APTS if they have utilized all semesters of eligibility in the TAP program. Income guidelines must be met.

Amounts—At SUNY state-operated campuses annual awards can range up to the maximum cost of part-time SUNY tuition. Award offers are made by the financial aid office at the student’s institution.

How To Apply—Students seeking assistance for part-time study must complete a campus APTS application available on the Financial Aid Office website. Campus funding is limited.

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Application Procedures—Application is by means of forms prescribed by SUNY. Application forms are available from the EOP office at the institution.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—An applicant must be (1) a New York State resident, (2) academically disadvantaged according to definitions promulgated by the State University, and (3) economically disadvantaged according to guidelines approved by the Board of Regents and the Director of the Budget. Selection of eligible applicants is conducted by the SUNY unit or the EOP campus, or both.

Award Schedule—The amount of financial assistance and other support provided to EOP participants is dependent on need as determined by the SUNY unit and the program, within the state guidelines.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Application Procedures—Handicapped persons may obtain a list of local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) offices from: Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, New York State Education Department, Albany, NY 12234. The blind are served by the Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped, State Department of Social Services, 40 North Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12243.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—Eligibility for vocational rehabilitation services is based upon (1) the presence of a physical or mental disability which for the individual constitutes or results in a substantial handicap to employment, and (2) the reasonable expectation that vocational rehabilitation services may benefit the individual in terms of employ-ability. Eligible clients may receive services including but not limited to counseling and guidance, evaluation of vocational potential, physical and mental restoration services, transportation, placement assistance and instruction and training including that given at institutions of higher education.

The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation will consider college training for clients when an appropriate specified vocational goal requiring this level of training has been established through the counseling and planning process between the eligible disabled individual and his vocational rehabilitation counselor. The training may involve full- or part-time study at the baccalaureate level leading to a degree or certificate; graduate training is usually not provided. Training costs at institutions of higher education may be paid through the vocational rehabilitation program only after efforts have been made to secure grant assistance to cover these costs in whole or in part from other sources.

OVR policy establishes a maximum payment toward tuition for a client in any one academic year. In some cases, clients are required to share the expenses of college training according to the general OVR economic need policy.

Scholarships and Awards


More than 450 scholarships and awards are available annually for SUNY Oswego students through the Oswego College Foundation.  For new incoming students, scholarship decision is based upon application to the college with no additional materials required.  For current and returning students, the application process begins January 1 and ends in early February each year.  A listing of all awards available including description, criteria, award amount and application details can be found online at