Jul 17, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Financial Information

Tuition and Fees

All inquiries concerning the cost and payment of tuition and fees should be referred to the Student Accounts Office or the web page https://ww1.oswego.edu/student-accounts/. The office is located at 408 Culkin Hall, office hours are 8:00am – 4:30pm. The telephone number to the office is (315)312-2225 and the e-mail is stuaccts@oswego.edu.

Housing charges are dependent upon the student’s choice of living accommodations. The cost of books and supplies, recreation, travel and other variable or discretionary expenses have not been tabulated; however, such expenses must be considered by students in planning a budget.

Health insurance is mandatory for all students enrolled at the College. The College does not insure students against medical expenses that may result from accidents in which they are involved while pursuing their activities. Students must assure themselves of medical coverage, either from insurance through a parent or through the Student Health Insurance Policy offered at low cost by Auxiliary Services. Students involved in State University’s international exchange, research, and study (including students and scholars studying abroad or entering the United States for study or research) must purchase health insurance. Health insurance coverage for International Program participants will help to assure that these individuals have sufficient financial resources to cover all expenses, including medical expenses, during the course of their program participation.

Note: Neither the State of New York, through its agents, nor the State University of New York through its agents and employees, is responsible in any manner whatsoever for the payment of claim for health-related services provided to individuals covered under this insurance policy. The State of New York and State University of New York are not responsible for obligations incurred by individuals who are not covered by this insurance policy. All individuals participating in State University’s health insurance program are responsible for reviewing all descriptions of the scope and level of coverage offered by this policy. Such participants will be solely responsible for obtaining additional coverage not provided under this program if such is deemed necessary by the participant.

New York State Residency


 The requirements for establishing New York State Residency can be complex. The Guide to Resident Tuition Policy and an application can both be found on the Office of Student Accounts web site https://ww1.oswego.edu/student-accounts/. If you have further questions please contact the Student Accounts office at (315)312-2225.

Refund of Tuition Policy

Full-Time Students & Part-Time Students: Financial liability will be based on these guidelines

  1. The College Calendar states the official first day of classes for semester and quarter courses.
  2. The date written on the DROP or Withdrawal Form is considered the final date of class attendance.
  3. The day you drop a class by the web system is considered the final date of class attendance for tuition liability purposes.
  4. Fees are not refundable as of the 1st day of classes.
  5. According to State University Administrative Policies, students who are given permission to cancel their registration shall be liable for payment of tuition in accordance with the following schedule. The first week of classes shall be deemed to have ended when seven calendar days including the first day has elapsed.


Period of Time Percent of Liability Period of Time Percent of Liability
1st week 0% 4th week 70%
2nd week 30% 5th week 100%
3rd week 50%    
  1. Full details on the refund policy are available on the Student Accounts web page at https://ww1.oswego.edu/student-accounts/
  2. Room and Board Refunds shall be done on a pro-rated bases by actual usage (e.g. weeks in housing, weeks of meals taken). Any balance remaining will be your responsibility.

Assistantships, Scholarships, & Employment



Graduate assistantships are available in many areas. More information can be found on the SUNY Oswego Graduate Studies webpage.  To view open positions, visit the Graduate Assistant Job Board.


Information on scholarships available to graduate students can be found on the Alumni Webpage. Applications are available after December 1st of each year. You must be matriculated into a graduate program and have one semester of graduate coursework completed to be eligible.

Graduate Diversity Fellowship Program

The Graduate Studies office offers two graduate fellowships designed to support high performing graduate students. To learn more about the Festa Leadership Graduate Fellowship and the Diversity Graduate Fellowship, visit the SUNY Oswego Graduate Studies web page.

Scholarship Assistant Program for Graduate Opportunity Program Students

Additional tuition waiver funds also have been allocated for support of students who participated in an EOP program as undergraduates. For information, please contact the Graduate Studies Office at 315-312-3152.

Part-time Employment


There are possibilities for part-time work on campus and in the community. Interested students should contact departmental offices. The Environmental Research Center provides employment each year to a number of students. Information regarding student employment opportunities can be obtained from the Director. The Office of Community Services and the Financial Aid Office are also helpful in finding part-time work.  For more information on student jobs on campus, go to www.oswego.edu/financial and select Employment.

Financial Aid Information for Graduate Students

Graduate students need to be enrolled in a masters or CAS program to be eligible for most financial aid programs; however, students pursuing New York State teacher certification or taking prerequisites needed to be admitted into a degree program may receive limited Federal Direct loans before matriculating. Full-time study for financial aid purposes is defined as twelve credits per semester, or nine credits plus an assistantship. Depending upon the assistantship, all or part of its financial value may be considered a resource in determining eligibility for other financial aid programs. 

Students must be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward the degree in order to receive federal and state financial aid. Students must take at least 6 credit hours to be eligible for student loans.


Applying for Financial Aid

Applicants for Financial Aid at Oswego need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), listing Oswego, federal code number 002848, as a school approved to receive the information. Students should apply on the web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Students must apply each school year.

All applicants will be considered for a Federal Direct Loan. Students who have filed the FAFSA by March 1 (November 15 for spring admissions) will also receive priority for Federal Work Study. The Financial Aid Office will send award letters to accepted and continuing students beginning on or before April 1.

Students should keep copies of the completed FAFSA and all tax forms used in completing it in case corrections are needed or verification is required.

Below is information on some programs available for students. Students are encouraged to go to www.oswego.edu/financial to review additional information on these and other programs. Significant information has been compiled that will make the educational experience more affordable. In addition, there is information to help students manage finances while in school and in the future.

Federal Programs

Graduate students are eligible to be considered for the Federal TEACH Grant, Federal Work Study, and Federal Direct Loans by filing the FAFSA. Proceeds of awards are distributed by semester.

Federal TEACH Grant

The Federal TEACH Grant Program provides up to $4,000 annually to undergraduate, post-baccalaureate and graduate students who agree to serve for at least 4 years as highly-qualified teachers in public or not-for-profit elementary or secondary schools who serve students from low-income families.  They must teach in a high-need field such as bi-lingual education, English language acquisition, foreign language, mathematics, reading specialist, science,special education or other fields designated as high-need. Please visit https://studentaid.gov/understand-aid/types/grants/teach for additional information.

Federal Work-Study

Amount—This is a campus-based program; awards vary according to need and the funds available. Funds are limited.  All FWS jobs are paid at no less than minimum wage.

Disbursement—Biweekly paycheck for hours worked. May not be used as a deferment.

Federal Direct Stafford Loan

Amount—Matriculated graduate students may borrow a maximum of $20,500 Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan per academic year. The total cumulative Federal Direct loan a student can borrow for undergraduate and graduate education is $138,500.

Matriculated graduate students needing additional loan funds may want to consider a Federal Graduate PLUS loan. The limit for the Graduate PLUS is the cost of attendance less any other aid or resources the student is receiving to attend graduate school.  The Graduate PLUS requires a credit check for approval.  

Non-matriculated graduate students that are enrolled in a teacher certification program OR are taking courses required to be admitted into a graduate program, may borrow up to $12,500 in Federal Direct Loan.  No more than $5,500 can be in a subsidized Direct loan.

Students must be enrolled for at least 6 credit hours to be eligible for federal loans.

Disbursement—Loans are typically disbursed in two installments, at the beginning and midpoint of the loan period. Loans for one semester are disbursed in one disbursement.  The Department of Education deducts an origination and insurance fee.

Repayment—When a student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time, a grace period begins.  For subsidized loans, payment of principal and interest begins at the expiration of the grace period. For unsubsidized loans, interest must be paid or capitalized beginning while the student is in school; payment of the principal begins at the expiration of the grace period.  There are many loan repayment options for students. Please visit https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans for more information.

Loan Forgiveness—Students pursuing employment in certain careers, especially teachers in high-need fields willing to teach in low income schools, may be eligible for loan forgiveness.  We encourage students to find additional information about loan forgiveness on our website, www.oswego.edu/financial or at www.studentloans.gov

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits Educational Assistance (GI Bill)

Application Procedures—Assistance in applying for benefits is available in the Financial Aid Office.

SUNY Oswego permits any student receiving Chapter 33 or Chapter 31 benefits to attend and participate in coursework during the period for which a Certificate of Eligibility, Statement of Benefits, or VAF 28-1905 is received.

SUNY Oswego will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement of funding from VA under chapter 33 or 31.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Chapter 31)

This program is available for veterans with a service-connected disability. The VR&E program can provide benefits to servicemembers and their dependents, including providing required education training. For more information on how to apply and to view eligibility requirements, please visit https://www.va.gov/careers-employment/vocational-rehabilitation/.


Title IV Financial Aid

Satisfactory Academic Progress


Students receiving assistance from any Title IV program (National Direct Student Loan and/or Guaranteed Student/Plus loans) must meet the following standards of satisfactory academic progress to be eligible to receive payment from these programs:

  1. Full-time graduate students are considered to be those students registered for twelve (12) credit hours per semester. Students enrolling for nine (9) hours and are participating in an assistantship are also considered full-time. For financial aid purposes, masters degree students must complete their degree requirements in a maximum of fourteen (14) semesters of study. Full-time graduate students must earn a passing grade in at least six (6) credit hours each semester. To be eligible for financial aid, part-time students must be enrolled for at least six (6) credit hours per semester. Part-time students must earn a passing grade in at least three (3) credit hours for each semester of study. All students must maintain an academic average of B in all graduate course work to maintain status as a degree candidate and therefore continue to receive federal financial aid.  
  2. Students who do not meet these Title IV good standing and academic progress requirements and are allowed by the Graduate Dean to enroll for another marking period, will be considered to have established a mitigating circumstance acceptable to the academic dean and thus received a waiver of academic  standing for Federal Title IV Financial Aid purposes.  The student will be eligible for federal aid in accordance with the criteria and requirements set forth by the Graduate Dean.  The Dean’s office monitors student compliance with specified waiver criteria and determines academic progress and status.

Student Withdrawal

Students who withdraw will be liable for tuition and fees based on the State Refund Policy. The amount of financial aid a student will be eligible for will be determined by dividing the number of days in the semester prior to the date of withdrawal by the total number of days in the semester. That percentage will be used to determine the amount of Earned Aid a student is entitled to receive. The student is responsible for any balance not covered by Earned Aid. If the calculated percentage is greater than 60% the student will receive 100% of their aid that was approved and authorized.