Jul 17, 2024  
2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog 
2009-2010 Undergraduate Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Financial Information



408 Culkin Hall


All students attending Oswego must pay tuition and the College Fee. In addition, all students must pay the Student Association Fee assessed by the Student Government. This fee covers organization dues, subscription to student publications including the yearbook, and admissions to special lectures, concerts, sports events, and other student activities. The Health, Athletic, and Technology Fees are mandatory. The remaining charges shown on the fee schedule depend upon the student’s choice of living accommodations, class status, and choice of courses. Certain laboratory and studio courses, and some courses with field trips, etc. require an additional instruction fee.

The College has a policy requiring all full-time students to have health insurance. To meet the needs of uninsured students an Accident and Sickness policy is available. This policy is designed to meet the needs of students at a reasonable price and will supplement services provided by the Mary Walker Health Center. All full-time students will see the charge for this insurance reflected on their bill. This charge can be removed from the student’s account by returning a completed waiver form and copy of insurance card to the Auxiliary Services Office, 507 Culkin Hall.

The cost of books and supplies, recreation, travel and other variable or discretionary expenses are not billed; however, such expenses must be considered by students in planning a realistic budget. Tuition and fee schedule may also be viewed on the Student Accounts website, click on Tuition and Fees.



Tuition for New York state residents, matriculating on a full-time basis, is $4,970.00 per year. Tuition for non-New York State residents, matriculated, full-time undergraduate students is $12,870.00 per year. The New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) and Supplemental Tuition Programs (SUSTA) are available for qualified students to offset some or all tuition charges. See Financial Aid for application process.

Tuition for undergraduate New York State residents, attending on a part-time basis is $207.00 per credit hour. The rate for non-New York State residents is $536.00 per credit hour. In addition to the above, a College Fee of $0.85 per credit hour is assessed.

Tuition for non-matriculating students is dependent on the level of the course taken. All non-matriculating students who take 12 credit hours or more are charged the full-time resident or nonresident semester rate for the Fall and Spring term. During the summer term there is no tuition cap. Use the per credit hour rate to determine the tuition charge. Tuition and fee schedule may also be viewed on the Student Accounts web page, click on Tuition and Fees.

New York State Residency

Physical presence in New York State does not constitute legal residence in the State. A college student cannot gain resident status unless it can be clearly established that the student’s previous domicile has been abandoned and a new one established in New York for a minimum period of 12 months prior to the start of the semester. Individuals do not meet the residency requirement if domiciled in New York State for the sole purpose of attending college. The domicile of a minor is, unless emancipated, that of the minor’s parents. Proof of emancipation must include evidence of financial independence. Applications for resident status are available in the Student Accounts Office or on the Student Accounts web page. Applications must be submitted to the Student Accounts Office before the last day to register for classes in the semester for which the student is applying. Failure to provide requested documentation to support resident status, upon request from the Student Accounts Office, will result in a denial of the application. For more information please refer to the Student Accounts web page, click on NYS Residency.

Schedule of Undergraduate Fees for Matriculated Students1 

Tuition Semester Charges
  New York State Residents   $2,485.00
  Non-New York State Residents   6,435.00
College Fee   12.50
Health Fee   138.00
Athletic Fee   166.50
Technology Fee   156.50
Accident and Sickness Insurance   250.00
Student Association Fee (Fall)   92.00
Student Association Fee (Summer)   5.00
Residence Hall Room Rent (Double Occupancy)   3,195.00
  Full Board with Plus Card   1,890.00
  Any 12 Meals Plus   1,840.00
  Any 9 Meals Plus   1,690.00
  Any 7 Meals Plus   1,400.00
  Any 5 Meals Plus   1,080.00
  Mackin Only   760.00
Entering Students    
  Identification Card - First card free; charge for lost   10.00
  Alumni Fee (Fall semester only)   25.00
  Arts Contribution (Spring semester only)   25.00
  Medical Insurance (Mandatory) Foreign students and students studying abroad - premium  

$788.25 per year
($328.50 Fall only; $459.75 Spring only) Rates are subject to change.

  Late Registration Charge4   40.00
  Late Payment Charge5   up to 50.00
  Returned Check Charge   20.00
  Instruction Fee (certain courses only)   Variable Charge
Parking Fee (plus tax)    
  Per Semester (Fall/Spring) - FT Student   50.00
  Per Semester (Fall/Spring) - PT Student   25.00
  Summer   20.00
  Vehicle Registration Fee - Annual   10.00

1 2008-2009 schedule. This schedule is subject to change by legislative action. Consult the Student Accounts Office, Culkin Hall, for the current schedule of tuition and fees.
2 Plus Plan available in $50 increments
3 Contact I.D. & Dining Services for commuter or off-campus meal plans.
4 Definition of Late Registration: any registration not completed at the appropriate time established by Registar’s Office for each registration period.
5 Definition of Late Payment: any payment not completed at the appropriate time established by the Student Accounts office for each academic term.

Payment of tuition, fees, room and board are due and payable prior to the first day of scheduled classes, unless covered by an authorized deferment. Authorized deferments include Tuition Assistance Awards; State University Supplemental Tuition Assistant awards, and other awards as authorized by the Chief Administrative Officer of the College or said officer’s designee. All costs and fees are those currently in effect and are subject to change prior to registration.

The Student Accounts Office directs all financial correspondence, statements, billings and receipts to students.

Schedule of Undergraduate Fees for Part-Time Students1

Tuition Per Credit Hour
  New York State Residents   $207.00
  Non-New York State Residents   536.00
College Fee   0.85
Health Fee   11.50
Athletic Fee   13.87
Technology Fee   13.04
Student Association Fee   7.66

1 2008-2009 schedule. This schedule is subject to change by legislative action. Consult Student Accounts, Culkin Hall, for the current schedule of tuition and fees.

Notice Regarding Non-Payment of Obligations

If payment is not received for obligations due SUNY Oswego, this agency is required to pursue other collection alternatives pursuant to Chapter 55 of the Laws of State Attorney General’s Office, or the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. In addition, state agencies are authorized to charge interest on the outstanding debt at the current corporate underpayment rate minus two percent (2%) set by the Commissioner of Taxation and Finance, compounded daily, on accounts considered past due. Chapter 55 allows state agencies to charge a fee on dishonored checks or like instruments.

In addition, the New York State Attorney General’s Office and SUNY Central Administration have reached an agreement which requires adding interest and collection fees on past due debt. Students are liable for interest, late fees, a collection fee of up to 22%, and other penalties on past due debt. Collection fees will be added to new past due debts transferred from this campus to the Attorney General or private collection agencies.

These terms and rates may be modified, without prior notice, as required by Legislative action or Board of Trustees’ action.

State Debt Collection Laws Affecting All Past Due Debts Owed To The State Of New York


Certain state laws that became effective on January 1, 1993 have granted additional enforcement powers to New York State agencies for collection of non-tax debts. These laws have augmented those codes and regulations that previously existed within the State University of New York. If a student has a current or outstanding debt with the University, the student is strongly urged to settle the matter immediately. Important Provisions include the following:

Interest Or Penalty On Overdue Non-Tax Debt – State Finance Law § 18

State agencies are authorized to assess interest or late payment penalty charges on overdue debts.

Collection Fee - State Finance Law § 18

State agencies or their representatives may charge collection fees to cover the estimated costs of processing, handling and collecting delinquent debts. The amount can be as much as 22% of the outstanding debt.

Authority to Hold Transcripts and Deny Registration – Section 302.1 (j) of Chapter V, Title 8 of the Official Compilation of Codes, Rules and Regulations

No student shall receive credit or other official recognition for work completed satisfactorily, or be allowed to register, until all tuition, fees and all other charges authorized by State University have been paid or University student loan obligations have been satisfied.

Referral of the Debt to the Tax Department – State Tax Law § 171-f

State agencies are authorized to certify to the Department of Taxation and Finance that past due legally enforceable debts should be offset against any tax refunds, contracts or other State payments.

Returned Check Charge – State Finance Law § 19

State agencies are authorized to charge a returned check fee when a check is dishonored.

If a student wishes to avoid these measures, the student MUST make arrangements to resolve any outstanding debts as soon as possible. For questions regarding debt, please contact the Student Accounts Office at 315-312-2225.

Refund Policy


Any registered student who decides not to return must officially withdraw from the College before the beginning of the semester to avoid any financial liability. Failure to do so in a timely manner may result in a financial obligation to the State of New York. Consult the Office of the Attorney General or the State Education Law, paragraph 302.2, regarding this matter.

According to State University Administrative Policies the semester begins with the first day of classes listed in the Official College Calendar. Students who are given permission to cancel their registration shall be liable for payment of tuition in accordance with the following schedule:

Tuition Liability Schedule

(Begins 1st day of term)

Calendar Days Week # % of Tuition Liability
  1-7 1st week 0%
  8-14 2nd week 30%
  15-21 3rd week 50%
  22-27 4th week 70%
  28 on 5th week 100%

Fee Liability: 100% beginning the first day of the term.

Students Not Receiving Title IV funding

Fees are non-refundable as of the first day of classes. Students must withdraw before the start of the semester to avoid liability.

Room rent is prorated after the first week of school on a quarterly basis. Contact Residence Life and Housing Office for details. Charges for board are refundable on a prorated basis for the number of weeks left in the quarter for which the student has paid. Refund details are available from the Student Accounts Office.

Students with Federal Title IV funding

Students receiving Title IV financial aid award payments and who withdraw from the College shall be obligated to return a portion of the award. Oswego determines the percentage of earned aid by taking the total number of calendar days a student is registered divided by the total number of calendar days in the semester to determine the percentage of aid the student will receive. If the calculated percentage is greater than 60% the student will receive 100% or the aid that was approved and the student was authorized to receive. Fees are nonrefundable as of the first day of classes.

Tuition Assistance and Deferment Policies


Tuition Assistance

The State University Board of Trustees has established a policy of tuition assistance whereby tuition charges may be waived in the following circumstances. All waivers must be presented at time of registration.


Up to 100 percent of the cost of tuition may be waived for employees holding full-time appointments in State University Community College of the Research Foundation, provided the course(s) taken bear some relationship to the employee’s current job. Contact the College Provost, 702 Culkin Hall, for information.

Critic or Supervising Teachers

Teachers providing services to the University as supervisors of student teachers may obtain certificates entitling them to waivers. For information, contact the Chief Administrative Officer of your school system.

Graduate Assistants

Fellows, interns, graduate assistants, teaching assistants, research assistants and part-time faculty at Oswego may apply for waivers by contacting their supervising dean (Dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences; Dean of the School of Business; Dean of the School of Communication, Media and the Arts; or Dean of the School of Education). The waiver amount varies depending on the service performed and/or salary and may be conditioned on application for TAP assistance.

Deferment Policies


Award Deferments

Oswego requires payment in full or enrollment in the time payment plan for tuition, room, board and fees prior to the start of classes. Proof of the following awards may be used as legitimate deferments. In each of the these programs, applications must be submitted each year. Students are responsible for initiating the application process and actively pursuing all steps in the process to completion.

TAP/Child of Vet

A student award certificate, issued by the Higher Education Services Corporation for the appropriate semester at Oswego, may be presented with a bill to defer tuition to the awarded (semester) amount.

Native American Aid, VOC-VET, Rehabilitation Programs

The awarding agency must have submitted the appropriate authorization to the Student Accounts Office delineating terms of the award.

Stafford Loans

Deferment is allowed if the loan has been approved by NYSHESC.

PLUS Loans

Deferment is allowed if the loan has been approved by NYSHESC.


Students whose applications for EOP assistance have been approved by the EOP Director may defer the awarded amounts upon notification to the Director of Student Accounts by the EOP Director. Evidence that the student has applied for TAP and PELL is required.


Confirmation of the award is sent by the Financial Aid Office. Perkins Loan—Deferment is made by the Student Accounts Office upon notification from Financial Aid that the student has accepted the award.

Private Sources

Awarding agencies must have submitted official written notification to the Student Accounts Office delineating amount and terms of the award. Awards based on grades or made payable directly to the student are not accepted.

Veteran’s Benefits

Veterans may qualify for monthly educational benefits under the Veteran’s Readjustment Benefit Act of 1966, as amended. Application is made at the Veteran’s Office. Eligible veterans may then defer that portion of their bill not covered by other financial aid. These deferments are arranged individually between the eligible veterans and the Student Accounts Office.

DMNA Recruitment Incentive and Retention Program

Student must submit DMNA Form 96-2 Certificate of Eligibility for the award to be used as a deferment against billed charges. The student is responsible for fees.

Additional Sources of Financial Assistance

Scholarship and loan funds are available through community, fraternal, church, industrial and union groups. Contact school’s guidance counselor or local library concerning resource materials. Students willing to do the research, fill out the forms and write necessary letters may find assistance from an unexpected resource.

Any student who has an excess in financial aid funding from Perkins Loan, Stafford Loans, PELL, SEOG, or TAP sources that is not needed to cover the student’s obligations to the College may receive authorization for purchases at the College Store. Students are eligible for a maximum of $600 per semester. Refunds on any unused portion of the authorization are made by the College Store.

Payment Plans

The College has its own time payment plan. It is available for the fall and/or spring semesters. Contact Student Accounts for details.



206 Culkin Hall


The Financial Aid Office at Oswego State believes that the talents, hopes and ambitions of our citizens are among the most valuable resources this nation possesses. With this thought in mind, the office continues to promote scholarship, loan, and employment opportunities for its qualified, deserving students who need assistance to attend college. The goal is to make it possible for students who would normally be deprived of a college education because of inadequate funds to attend SUNY Oswego by using strategies that access all financial aid programs. In so doing, it is essential that we adhere to federal and state legislative requirements, as well as looking at all other resources that might be available to the students through scholarship opportunities, to ensure an equitable distribution of funds.

The Financial Aid Office finds that cooperation with the student and the family is imperative. Occasionally there are situations that affect a student’s ability to pay because of changes in their personal or family’s circumstances. These situations include dropping a class, possible withdrawal and changes in income through loss of employment, death, or separation. Students are encouraged to notify our office if there are any concerns or changes in a family’s situation.

Professional and courteous staff are available to discuss issues in person, by phone, or E-mail. Information on the types of aid available, how to apply and the opportunity to check your personal awards and applications is available on the Financial Aid web page. Students are encouraged to continue their learning opportunities by promoting good fiscal sense and awareness of their financial aid status and responsibilities.

As college costs rise, more and more people are exploring the availability of financial aid.  Oswego students who are New York State residents realize substantial savings by attending a state university college. In addition, there are many programs of direct financial assistance available in the form of grants, scholarships, loans and employment.  Over 80% of Oswego students receive some financial aid.

The following information is provided as a general reference to financial aid at Oswego and is based on statutes, regulations and policies current at the time these materials were prepared for publication. These descriptions are, however, subject to change. We strongly recommend you review the Financial Aid Office website, www.oswego.edu/financial, for additional information.

Applying for Financial Aid


Applicants for Financial Aid at Oswego need to file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), listing Oswego, federal code number 002848, as a school authorized to receive the information. Students should apply on the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov.  Students must apply each academic year. 

All applicants will be considered for the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Stafford Loan. Students who have filed the FAFSA by March 1 (November 15 for spring admissions) will also receive priority consideration for Federal Work Study, Perkins Loans, and Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants. If your tax information is not available by March 1, you can complete the FAFSA with estimated information.  IF you use estimated information, you will need to provide actual information as soon as it is available. 

The Financial Aid Office will send award letters to accepted and continuing students beginning on or before April 1. As a result of filing the FAFSA, students will receive a federal Student Aid Report. Students should review the FAFSA results for accuracy and make any necessary changes.  New York State residents will be given the opportunity to complete the electronic TAP Application for New York’s Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) when completing the FAFSA. Oswego’s TAP code is 0935.

Students should keep copies of the completed FAFSA, all tax forms and all correspondence and documentation used in completing the FAFSA in case corrections are needed or verification is required.

Consortium Arrangements

Students wishing to receive financial aid for courses taken at or through another campus must file a Consortium Agreement (available from the Financial Aid Office) with a completed Course Approval Form in addition to meeting all other eligibility criteria. Consortia are not usually available for summer study.

Study Abroad

Students may be eligible for funding while attending an approved study abroad program. Contact the Financial Aid Office for details.

Available Programs

This information is correct as it goes to print. However, there may be changes that affect you. Please contact your guidance counselor or the Financial Aid Office for current information.

Financial Aid Awards Process


On or about March 15, Oswego will start to send award letters to accepted and continuing students whose applications are complete. The award letter will indicate what aid the student is eligible for and may outline how to accept certain types of aid. It is important to follow any instructions on the award letter in a timely manner. Oswego always has more students needing funds than there is money available. Awards that are not accepted in a timely fashion, as defined in the award notice, are canceled and offered to other students. Students whose applications are received by March 1 will be given priority for Federal Perkins Loan, and Federal Work Study and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants.  We have limited funding for these programs.  Consideration is given to our neediest students and those who apply by March 1.

If accepting a Federal Stafford Loan for the first time, student will receive information on how to complete the electronic Master Promissory Note (eMPN) directly from the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (NYSHESC). These instructions will be mailed to students beginning in June before their first semester. This process should be completed as soon as possible so there is time for the loan to be approved before the college bill is due.

The New York State Higher Education Assistance Corporation will begin to process TAP applications each year after the New York State budget has been signed. Award notices will be mailed directly to the student. Student TAP awards will be estimated by Oswego on the award letter, but students will need to complete the application process with NYSHESC. Oswego’s TAP code is 0935.

About thirty percent of all applicants will be selected for verification. If selected, student will receive a Verification Worksheet and a request for copies of both student and parent federal income tax forms. All aid processing will be held up until this information is received. A student’s eligibility for assistance can be changed by the verification process. Students may be asked to document their citizenship and/or Selective Service registration status.

Students who have federal financial aid and lose eligibility (withdraw, drop hours, fail to meet Oswego academic requirements, etc.), will have the appropriate amounts returned to the programs according to the federal redistribution formula in effect. Further information is available from Student Accounts, 408 Culkin Hall.

Statement of Educational Purpose

Recipients of federal financial aid must be matriculated and are required to sign a Statement of Educational Purpose on the FAFSA. The content of the current statement is:

All of the information provided by me or any other person on this form is true and complete to the best of my knowledge. I understand that this application is being filed jointly by all signatories. If asked by an authorized official, I agree to give proof of the information that I have given on this form. I realize that this proof may include a copy of my U.S. or state income tax return. I also realize that if I do not give proof when asked, the student may be denied aid.

I certify that I will use any Federal Title IV, HEA funds I receive during the award year covered by this application solely for expenses related to my attendance at the institution of higher education that determined or certified my eligibility for those funds.

I understand that I may not receive any Federal Title IV, HEA funds if I owe an overpayment on any Title IV educational grant or loan or am in default on a Title IV educational loan unless I have made satisfactory arrangements to repay or otherwise resolve the overpayment or default. I also understand that I must notify my school if I do owe an overpayment or am in default.

Students who have attended a post secondary institution prior to attending Oswego will have their history reviewed through the National Student Loan Data Service.

Students receiving federal and/or state aid are required to be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward their degrees as defined below. Recipients of state aid must also meet Pursuit of Program guidelines. Pursuit of Program information can be obtained from the Student Accounts Office.

Students who become ineligible for federal funds due to a failure to meet Oswego satisfactory progress or good standing requirements may regain eligibility by completing the necessary process with the appropriate Dean as defined elsewhere in this catalog.

Guidelines to Qualify for State Aid; Declaration of Major and Repeated Grades

Declaration of Major

Students must declare a major no later than the beginning of their junior year, and their academic record must designate the student’s enrollment in a program appearing on the State Education Department’s Inventory of Registered Programs, in order to be eligible for state and financial aid.

Repeated Courses

Repeated courses can only be counted as part of the student’s current semester hour load for certain financial aid programs when:

  1. the course was originally graded E, F, or U;
  2. the course was originally graded D (D+, D, D-) or E and a grade of C- is required in that course to meet the minimum requirement for the major;
  3. the course may be repeated and credit earned each time, i.e., a topics course.

These guidelines can seriously affect students who are advised to repeat a D (or other passing grade) to improve their cumulative average or to clear to good standing, unless one of the above conditions apply. Example: A student registers for 12 credits, including one course for which a D was already received. The major does not require that the grade be a C- or better, but the student is advised to raise the cumulative grade point average and eliminate the D, also gaining a better foundation for subsequent sequential work. For the purposes of state aid, the student is considered to be carrying nine hours (half-time) and, therefore, ineligible for TAP. Since financial aid programs may also measure the student’s total degree progress made against the total aid received, failed and/or repeated coursework can impact on aid awards for subsequent semesters.

Degree Progress

Though it may be academically advisable for students to take courses that do not count toward their degree, such courses do not count toward the semester credit hour requirement for financial aid purposes.

Guidelines for Satisfactory Academic Progress

Students receiving assistance from any Federal Title IV program (Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Academic Competitiveness (ACG) Grant, Federal Natural Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent (SMART) Grant, Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and higher Education (TEACH) Grant, Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan and/or Federal Stafford/PLUS loans) must meet the College’s academic standards for satisfactory academic progress and good standing as defined in the section “Scholarly Standards for Degree Program Students” published in this catalog. Students are considered to be in good standing and making satisfactory progress toward the degree if they are permitted to continue enrollment at the College based on academic guidelines defined in that section.  Students must petition the appropriate Academic Dean for reinstatement and to have the academic standards temporarily waived.

Total Attempted Credit Hours

Students receiving assistance from any Federal Title IV programs identified above may not receive financial aid to attempt more than 150% of the necessary credit hours for program degree completion. For most students, federal aid cannot be received for more than 183 attempted credit hours toward degree completion.

Grade Point Average

Students receiving assistance from Federal Title IV programs (Pell Grant, Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work Study, Federal Perkins Loan and/or Federal Stafford/PLUS loans) must maintain the minimum grade point average required for matriculated students based on their cumulative registered credit hours. Students eligible to receive the Federal Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG) or the Federal Natural Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent (SMART), must maintain a 3.0 GPS to continue to receive the award.  Depending on their initial eligibility criteria, students may need to maintain a 3.25 cumulative GPA to continue to receive the Federal TEACH grant.

Academic Disqualification

Students who do not meet the College’s academic standards for satisfactory academic progress and good standing as defined in the section “Scholarly Standards for Degree Program Students” published in this catalog are considered “Academically Disqualified”. This disqualification determination and notification by the College is also considered determination and notification that a student is ineligible for continued Federal Title IV aid as defined above.

Mitigating Circumstances and Appeals

The appropriate Dean administers a academic standards written appeal process. If the Dean reinstates the disqualified student, the student is considered reinstated for the purposes of Federal Title IV aid eligibility as well. The exception to this is the Total Attempted Credit Hours as defined above.

Federal Programs


Federal Pell Grant

Available to—Matriculated students who have not received a Bachelor’s degree. Must be citizens or eligible non citizens, be financially eligible, be in good academic standing and making satisfactory degree progress. Persons required to register with selective service must do so.

Student may not be in default or owing a repayment on any Title IV program at any institution.

Amount—Maximum award for 2008-2009 is $4,731 per year.

How To Apply—file a FAFSA. Be sure to list SUNY Oswego as one of the colleges authorized to receive the information.

Disbursement—Students selected for verification must complete the verification process before funds will be ordered; awards may change as the result of verification. Proceeds distributed by semester.

Federal Perkins Loan

Available to—Same as Federal Pell Grant, and also available to matriculated graduate students.

Amount—This is a campus-based program; awards vary according to need and availability of funds. Maximum annual award to Oswego students is $2000 per year and an aggregate of $15,000 for undergraduate study; $30,000 cumulative maximum including graduate study.

Disbursement—Promissory note must be signed. Proceeds distributed by semester. Loan may be used as a deferment if paperwork is complete.

Repayment—Current interest rate is 5%. Repayment begins following the grade period initiated by termination of at least half-time study. Grace period is either six or nine months determined by date of first loan. Up to ten years to repay. There are loan forgiveness possibilities for some types of employment. See the Bursar or the Financial Aid Office for details.

How To Apply—Same as Federal Pell Grant. Recipients must complete entrance and exit interviews.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

Available to—Same as Federal Pell Grant.
Amount—This is a campus-based program; awards vary by need and availability of funds with priority to lowest family contributions and Federal Pell Grant recipients. Awards may range from $100 to $4000 per year.

How To Apply—Same as Federal Pell Grant.

Disbursement—By semester. May be used as a deferment if paperwork is complete.

Academic Competitiveness Grants (ACG)

Available to—Students must be eligible for Federal Pell Grant, must be a full time first or second year student, must be a US citizen, must have completed a rigorous high school program (contact the Admissions or Financial Aid offices), must maintain a 3.0 GPA.

Amount—First year maximum is $750 and the second year maximum is $1,300

How to apply—same as Federal Pell Grant

Disbursement—by semester

Natural Science and Mathematics Access to Retain Talent grant (SMART)

Available to—Students must be eligible for Federal Pell Grant, be a full time third or fourth year student enrolled in certain math, science, technology or foreign language program defined by the Department of Education (contact the Financial Aid Office), must be a US Citizen and must maintain a 3.0 GPA.

Amount—up to $4,000 per year

How to Apply—same as Federal Pell Grant

Disbursement – by semester

Federal Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH)

Available to-Undergraduate and graduate students who intend to teach in a high-need field, such as math, science, special education, foreign language and who agree to teach in a low-income school.  Students must have scored above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or have graduated from high school with at least a 3.25 GPA.  If students did not score above the 75th percentile, they must maintain a 3.25 GPA throughout college to continue to receive this grant.  If students fail to meet the service requirement, the TEACH Grant will have to be repaid in the form of an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest accrued from the time the student first received a TEACH Grant.  For a complete list of current high-need fields and low-income schools, go to the Financial Aid Office website.

Amount-$4,000 per year

How to Apply-Complete the FAFSA, complete an Oswego TEACH application, complete entrance counseling, complete an Agreement to Serve and Promise to Pay.

Disbursement - By semester


Federal Work-Study

Available to—Same as Federal Pell Grant.

Amount—This is a campus-based program; awards vary according to need and the funds available. All FWS jobs are paid at no less than minimum wage.

How To Apply—Same as Federal Pell Grant.

Disbursement—Bi-weekly paycheck for hours worked. May not be used as a deferment.

Federal Stafford Loan

Available to—Same as Federal Pell Grant.

Amount—Undergraduates with less than 27 credit hours may borrow $2625 per year. Those with 27-56 hours are limited to $3500 annually. The annual limit for undergraduates with 57 or more hours is $5500. The cumulative undergraduate limit is $23,000. Graduates limited to $8500 per year with total cumulative of $65,000. Amounts up to demonstrated need are subsidized by the federal government; amounts in excess of demonstrated need are unsubsidized (the student being responsible for the interest while in school). Independent students and dependent students whose parents have been rejected for a PLUS loan (below) may borrow additional amounts of unsubsidized Stafford. The additional amount may not exceed $4000 per year for the first two years and $5000 per year for the third, fourth and fifth years.

Disbursement—Loans are disbursed in two installments, at the beginning and midpoint of the loan period. The lender deducts an origination and insurance fee.

Repayment—When a student ceases to be enrolled at least half-time, a grace period begins as specified in the promissory note. For subsidized loans, payment of principal and interest begins at the expiration of the grace period. For unsubsidized loans, interest must be paid or capitalized beginning while the student is in school; payment of the principal begins at the expiration of the grace period. Repayment may take up to ten years. The interest rate is variable, capped at 8.25%.

How To Apply—Must first file a FAFSA. A Master Promissory Note must be submitted according to school’s procedures. Recipients must complete entrance and exit interviews.

Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students

Available to—Parents of dependent students. Must be citizens or eligible non citizen. Student who is beneficiary must meet criteria under the “Available To” section under Federal Perkins Loans. Not need-based.

Amount—Cost of attendance minus financial aid.

Disbursement—Loan proceeds disbursed to parent borrower in two installments (at the beginning and the midpoint of the loan period) after proper school certification. Lenders deduct origination fee and insurance.

Repayment—Repayment begins 60 days after the loan is disbursed. Interest rate variable; capped at 9%.

How To Apply—Obtain a PLUS Pre-approval form from the Financial Aid Office, complete and submit to the Financial Aid Office.

United States Bureau of Indian Affairs Aid to Native Americans Higher Education Assistance Program

Application Procedures—Application forms may be obtained from the Bureau of Indian Affairs Office. An application is necessary for each year of study. An official needs analysis from the college financial aid office is also required each year.

Each first-time applicant must obtain tribal enrollment certification from the Bureau agency which records enrollment for the tribe.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—To be eligible, the applicant must: (1) be at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo or Aleut, (2) be an enrolled member of a tribe, band or group recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, (3) be enrolled in or accepted for enrollment in an approved college or university, pursuing at least a four-year degree, and (4) have financial need.

Responsibilities of Recipients—For grants to be awarded in successive years, the student must make satisfactory progress toward a degree.

Veterans Administration (VA) Educational Benefits Educational Assistance (GI Bill)

Application Procedures—Application forms, information and assistance in applying for benefits are available at all VA offices.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—A veteran must have at least 181 days’ continuous active duty service, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and before January 1, 1977. Discharge or release must have been under conditions other than dishonorable.

Also eligible is the individual who contracted with the armed forces and was enlisted in a reserve unit prior to January 1, 1977, and who as a result served on active duty for at least 181 days, any part of which began within 12 months after January 1, 1977.

Veterans with less than 181 days’ service may be eligible if they were released because of a service-connected disability.

An eligible veteran with 18 continuous months or more of active duty is entitled to receive 45 months of full-time educational benefits or the equivalent in part-time benefits. Persons with less than 18 continuous months of active duty are entitled to one and a half months of full-time benefits (or the part-time equivalent) for each month of active duty served.

Vocational Rehabilitation

This program is for disabled veterans of World War II, the Korean Conflict, the Post-Korean Conflict, the Vietnam Era and certain peacetime veterans.

Survivors and Dependents Education

This program is for children, spouses, survivors of veterans whose death or permanent total disabilities were service-connected and for spouses and children of service persons missing in action or prisoners of war.

Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance

Application Procedures—Same as Educational Assistance under the GI Bill directly above.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—This is a voluntary contributory matching program for persons entering service after December 31, 1976. Benefits are accumulated by including contributions from the participating service or former service person and a matching fund from the VA at the rate of $2 for each $1 contributed by the participant. The cutoff date is 10 years after the date of last release or discharge from active duty after January 1, 1977. Entitlement is limited to a maximum of 36 months.

Source—Benefits for Veterans and Service Personnel With Service since January 31, 1955, and their Dependents 1S-1 Fact Sheet, January 1981 Veterans Administration
Washington, DC 20420

*According to the Higher Education Amendments of 1992 the College will make the following available on request: refund distribution schedule to federal programs, the content of exit counseling information for borrowers, and information on financing study abroad programs.

State Programs


Where any question of eligibility exists, the student or prospective student should contact the Financial Aid Office.

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)

Available to—New York State residents enrolled full-time in a degree program. Must meet TAP standards of degree progress and be in good academic standing.

Amount—Awards range up to Oswego’s tuition; eligibility based on NYS net taxable income.

How To Apply—File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and the TAP Express application. Go to www.fafsa.ed.gov to apply.

Disbursement—Award notice sent to student by the New York Higher Education Services Corporation. Award notices made out to Oswego State University can be used as deferments.

Robert C. Byrd Honors Scholarship

Available to-US citizens and permanent NYS residents as defined by legislation. May be attending NYS or out-of-state college. Based upon SAT and ACT scores.

Amount—$1500 for the first academic year only. Three-hundred and ten awards state-wide distributed by congressional districts.

How To Apply–Applications available in high school guidance offices, or from the Bureau of Elementary and Secondary Testing, NYS Education Department, Albany, NY 12234. Call (518)474-5099.

Mayor’s Scholarship Program

The Mayor’s Scholarship Program is a student financial aid program established by the Mayor’s Office of the City of New York and sponsored by the Federal agency for Housing and Urban Development (HUD). It is administered by a consortium of three nonprofit agencies: ASPIRA of New York, Inc., the New York Urban League, and the Admission Referral and Information Center of the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities. It is designed to provide supplemental financial aid to residence-eligible New York City students enrolled as full-time matriculated in degree-granting institutions of higher education. The amount of each award ($100-$650) is based on financial need as indicated by the student’s Pell Grant index and the cost of education. Application is made to any of the contact agencies mentioned above (ARIC, ASPIRA, or N.Y.U.L.) in the summer proceeding each academic year.

Regents Award for Children of Deceased or Disabled Veterans

Application Procedures—A special application, obtainable from the high school principal or counselor, must be filed with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), Albany, NY 12255. Documentary evidence to establish eligibility is required with the application. A high school counselor can provide assistance with this process.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards–The applicant must be (1) the child of a veteran who died, or who has a current disability of 50 percent or more, or who had such disability at the time of death, resulting from US military service during one of the following periods: December 7, 1941 - December 31, 1946 June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953 October 1, 1961 - March 29, 1973 and (2) a legal resident of New York State. Legal residence in New York State on the part of the parent is also required at the time of entry into military service or, if the parent died as the result of military service at the time of death.

Regents awards to children of deceased or disabled veterans are independent of family income or tuition charge, and are in addition to such other grants or awards to which the applicant may be entitled.

Award Schedule—The amount of the award is $450 per year for up to five years, depending on the normal length of the program of study, of full-time study in a college or hospital nursing school in New York State.
Responsibilities of Recipients—Recipients must be in good academic standing in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations, and must not be in default of a loan guaranteed by the Higher Education Service Corporation. To receive payment, the scholarship holder must, each year, file a TAP Student Payment Application with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.
Source—New York State Higher Education, Services Corporation, Albany, NY 12255

Regents Awards for Children of Deceased Police Officers and firefighters

Application Procedures—A special application, obtainable from the high school principal or counselor, must be filed with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), Albany, NY 12255. Documentary evidence to establish eligibility is required with the application.
Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—The applicant must be a resident child of a resident police officer, firefighter or volunteer firefighter of New York State or any of its municipalities who died as the result of an injury sustained in the line of duty.
Award Schedule—The amount of the award is $450 per year for up to five years, depending on the normal length of the program of study, of full-time study in a college or hospital nursing school in New York State.

Responsibilities of Recipients—Recipients must be in good academic standing in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations, and must not be in default of a loan guaranteed by the Higher Education Service Corporation. To receive payment, the scholarship holder must, each year, file a TAP Student Payment Application with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation.

Source—New York State Higher Education, Services Corporation, Albany, NY 12255

Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award

Eligibility—Funding is available for U.S. veterans who served in Indochina between January 1, 1963, and May 7, 1975, and who received other than dishonorable discharges. Veterans must have been residents of New York State on April 20, 1984, or have been a resident of the time of entry into the service and resume residency by September 1, 1987.

Amounts—For full-time study the maximum award is $500 per semester or tuition, whichever is less. The Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award plus TAP, if eligible, cannot exceed tuition. Maximum part-time awards are $250 per semester or tuition, whichever is less.

How To Apply—Full time applicants must complete (1) a TAP Student Payment Application, (2) a Vietnam Veterans Tuition Award Supplement and (3) a Pell Grant application. Part-time students must complete the Veterans Supplement and the Pell Grant Application (see Section II). Forms may be obtained from high school guidance offices, financial aid offices or the Higher Education Services Corporation at the address and phone listed for TAP.

Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)

Eligibility—Applicants must be undergraduate New York State residents enrolled for 3 to 11 credit hours. Students must be in good academic standing in a degree program prior to applying for APTS. In addition, students are not eligible for APTS if they have utilized all semesters of eligibility in the TAP program. Income guidelines must be met.

Amounts—At SUNY state-operated campuses annual awards can range up to the maximum cost of part-time SUNY tuition. Award offers are made by the financial aid office at the student’s institution.

How To Apply—Students seeking assistance for part-time study must complete a campus APTS application available on the Financial Aid Office website. Campus funding is limited.

Student Aid to Native Americans

Application Procedures—Application forms may be obtained from the Native American Education Unit, New York State Education Department, Albany, NY 12230. The completed application form should be forwarded by the applicant to the Native American Education Unit along with the following materials: (1) official transcript of high school record or photostat of General Equivalency Diploma; (2) letter(s) of recommendation from one or more leaders in the community attesting to personality and character; (3) personal letter, setting forth clearly and in detail educational plans and desires; (4) signatures of the parents of minor applicants, approving education plans; (5) official tribal certification form; and (6) copy of acceptance letter from college that student is attending.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—The applicant must be (1) on an official tribal roll of a New York State tribe or the child of an enrolled member of a New York State tribe, and a resident of New York State, (2) maintaining good academic standing in accordance with Commissioner’s Regulations, and (3) enrolled in an approved New York State post secondary program. Student Aid to Native Americans is an entitlement program. There is neither a qualifying examination nor a limited number of awards.

Award Schedule—The award is $1,550 per year for a maximum of four years of full-time study (five years, where a fifth year is required for completion of degree requirements). Full-time study requires a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester or the equivalent in part-time study. Students registered for less than this number will be funded at approximately $46 per credit hour. Awards are not provided for study in remedial programs.

Responsibilities of Recipients—Students are responsible for notifying the Native American Education Unit in writing of any change in student status or program or institutional enrollment. Students must also submit semester grades at the end of each semester, showing satisfactory progress toward completion of degree or certification requirements.

Source—Native American Education Unit, New York State Education Department, Albany, NY 12230

Educational Opportunity Program (EOP)

Application Procedures—Application is by means of forms prescribed by SUNY. Application forms are available from the EOP office at the institution.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—An applicant must be (1) a New York State resident, (2) academically disadvantaged according to definitions promulgated by the State University, and (3) economically disadvantaged according to guidelines approved by the Board of Regents and the Director of the Budget. Selection of eligible applicants is conducted by the SUNY unit or the EOP campus, or both.

Award Schedule—The amount of financial assistance and other support provided to EOP participants is dependent on need as determined by the SUNY unit and the program, within the state guidelines.

Vocational Rehabilitation

Application Procedures—Handicapped persons may obtain a list of local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR) offices from: Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, New York State Education Department, Albany, NY 12234. The blind are served by the Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped, State Department of Social Services, 40 North Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12243.

Selection of Recipients and Allocation of Awards—Eligibility for vocational rehabilitation services is based upon (1) the presence of a physical or mental disability which for the individual constitutes or results in a substantial handicap to employment, and (2) the reasonable expectation that vocational rehabilitation services may benefit the individual in terms of employ-ability. Eligible clients may receive services including but not limited to counseling and guidance, evaluation of vocational potential, physical and mental restoration services, transportation, placement assistance and instruction and training including that given at institutions of higher education.

The Office of Vocational Rehabilitation will consider college training for clients when an appropriate specified vocational goal requiring this level of training has been established through the counseling and planning process between the eligible disabled individual and his vocational rehabilitation counselor. The training may involve full- or part-time study at the baccalaureate level leading to a degree or certificate; graduate training is usually not provided. Training costs at institutions of higher education may be paid through the vocational rehabilitation program only after efforts have been made to secure grant assistance to cover these costs in whole or in part from other sources.

OVR policy establishes a maximum payment toward tuition for a client in any one academic year. In some cases, clients are required to share the expenses of college training according to the general OVR economic need policy.

Source—Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, New York State Education Department, Albany, NY 12234

Scholarships and Awards


The following table lists the scholarships and awards available through SUNY Oswego. The table gives the names of the scholarship or award, the number available, and the dollar amount. Additional scholarships may be established after this Catalog goes to print. For application materials, deadline dates, and additional information contact the Oswego College Foundation, Inc. at 315.312.3003.

Name of Award




Presidential Scholarship (freshmen) TBA $4,400 renewable
Dean’s Scholarship (freshman)  TBA $1,250 renewable
Merit Scholarship (freshmen)  TBA $500 renewable
Transfer Merit Scholarship (transfers)  TBA $1,000 non-renewable
Residental Scholarship (freshman and transfers) TBA On-campus room cost renewable
International Undergraduate Scholarship (international students) TBA $6,500 renewable
William S. Barnes ’33 Student Scholarship   One $850
Roberta P. Byer ’71 Scholarship One $1,000
Stephen and Ann Coco Presidential Scholarship Fund Three $1,850
Rosemary ’81 & Douglas ’80 Crane Scholarship One $1,500
Gerald J. Friends ‘55 Scholarship for the Schodack Central School District One $1,000
Rosean C. ’31 & Russell Gay Presidential Scholarship  One $800
Girgis B. Ghobrial Presidentail Scholarship Ten $4,400
Bakhoum Ghobrial and L. Zahia Sorial Ghobrial Presidential Four $5,000
Eugenio M. De Hostos Scholarship  One $200
Lynn & Ellen Hemink Scholarship  One $1,500
Frances Mattison & Otto Hoenow Scholarship  Four $2,500
Gurden Jones ‘27 Presidential Scholarship One $4,300
Elsie Hutchinson Morris Scholarship  Two $4,000
Benjamin ‘41 and Bevra Pease’46 Muirhead Presidential Scholarship One $650
Clara Hill Murphy ’27 Scholarship  One $1,800
Louella & Harold Oakley Scholarship  One $500
Gloria A. S. Olson ’51 Scholarship  One $2,000
George M. Penney Presidential Scholarship One $3,500
Peterson Education Scholarship Two $600
Olive B. Spargo Scholarship One $500
Myrtle Waters Stuart Scholarship  One $900
Barry Taylor Memorial Scholarship  One $650
Renee Valles ’85 & Michael L. Toothman Scholarship  One $500
Sharon ’74 & Joseph Yacura ’74 Endowed Scholarship  One $1,950
Gerhard D. Zellar New Student Scholarship  One $700


Class of 1937 Scholarship One $1,000

Alpha Sigma Lambda Scholarship Eta Gamma Chapter

Alumni Legacy Scholarship Four $1,000
Barry W. Atkinson Award  One $1,200
William S. Barnes ’33 Honors Program Scholarship TBA $1,000
Andrew C. Burnett ’92 Scholarship  One $500
Jerry Burns Memorial Scholarship  TBA TBA
Roland and Dorothy Brown Clark ‘36 One $1,250
Robert Brian Ellis Scholarship  One $300
Emeriti Association of SUNY Oswego Scholarship One $1,000
General Scholarship Pre-med Advisory Committee Dr. Walter Freund Memorial  TBA $8,400
H. Lois and Paul Goodwin Memorial Scholarship  One $2,500
Harold E. Morse ’61 Family Scholarship One $950
The Paul Family Scholarship One $400
The Janice Pettit Non-Traditional Memorial Scholarship One $250
James E. Perdue Memorial Scholarship One $3,000
REACH Scholarship One $600
Dorothy Rogers Scholarship One $1,500
Edward Austin Sheldon Scholar Awards Three $1,000
The Barbara Shineman ’65 Scholarship One $1,200
Hubert B. Smith Diversity Scholarship TBA TBA
Olive Brannan Spargo ’31 Endowed Leadership Fund One $700
William R. Tucker Scholarship 12 $500
Charles Turner Graduate Award One $250
Charles Edward Wisotsky Educational Memorial Fund One $900
Gerhard D. Zellar Native American Scholarship TBA $750

The School of Communication, Media and the Arts

Sharon ‘74 and Josheph Yacura ‘74 Endowed Scholarship One $1,000

The School of Education

Class of 1945 Scholarship  One  $450
Class of 1953 Memorial Scholarship  One  $2,000
Gileen W. French ‘65 Scholarship  One  $600
Father Robert E. Hall Memorial Scholarship  One  $1.350
Anna Mae Johnson ‘42 Scholarship  TBA  $1,000
Mary E. Laing Scholarship  One


Constance LaRock Seeber ‘53 and Ada Linsler ‘37 Scholarship  TBA  $1,000
Stan Levenson Scholarship  One  $1,000
John P. Moroney and Frances Murphy Moroney Merit Scholarship  One  $3,500 renewable
Gillespie/Pietroski Scholarship  One  $1,100
Viginia G. Gibson Vogel ‘56 Memorial Scholarship  TBA  TBA
Lew Widoff ‘69 Teaching for Social Justice Award One $500

Scholarships by Major


Accounting, Finance and Law Department

Association of Investment Management and Research Scholarship Five or more $400/subsidy
Edward J. Lundy Public Accounting Preparation Award Two TBA
Michael O’Brien ’81 Memorial Scholarship  One $850
The Institute of Internal Auditors Two Certificate
Institute of Management Accountants One Certificate
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA) Excellence in Accounting Scholarship Several $2,500/$1,500
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants Superior Scholarship One TBA
New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants Syracuse Chapter Four TBA
CFA Institute Scholarship Program Five per faculty $400 subsidy

Anthropology Department

Norman E Whitten Scholarship One or more TBA

Art Department

Grant Arnold Award Several  TBA
Herman Krusi Award One TBA
Jessie E. and Jay D. Rudolph Several  $3,300 total
Aulus Saunders Service Award Several  TBA
Robert M. Sullins Studio Award Several  TBA
  Several  TBA

Biological Sciences Department

Dr Norman J. and Elsie H. Gillette Outstanding Senior in Biology Award One TBA
Dr Douglas Halliday Summer Research Fellowship One or more $3,000
Martin V. Torok Memorial Award One TBA
Zoology Student Award One TBA

Chemistry Department

Dr. H. Alan Ewart Memorial Scholarship One $2,900
Pearle Monroe Scholarship One $750
Willy G. Schuh, Jr Outstanding Senior Award One $300
Anthony L. VanGeet Scholarship One $550
Freshman Chemistry Scholarship Four $500

Communication Studies Department

J. Edward McEvoy Scholarship One $1,600
Dr. Manjula Ravindra Shah Memorial Scholarship One $1,300
Robert C. Ziegler ’84 Memorial Scholarship TBA $4,900 total
Dr. I. David Glick Scholarship for Excellence in Communication One $500

Computer Science Department

NYS Federation of Home Bureaus, Inc. Scholarship in Honor of Oswego County Home Bureaus One $450

Counseling and Psychological Services Department

Thomas H. Chapman One $1,000
Lucy Wing Memorial Fund One $1,000

Curriculum and Instruction Department

Finter-Yager Scholarship One $800
Lisa Frank Memorial Scholarship One $450
Hazel F. Hewitt Scholarship Fund One $1,200
Jack C. James ’62 Scholarship One $1,200
Charles and Margaret Leonard Scholarship One $1,500
R. Lee Martin Award Two $700 each
Greta O’Brien Murabito ’43 Scholarship One $1,000

English Department (Literature)

Georgia Barnes Scholarship One $100
Erwin Palmer Outstanding Senior in Literary Studies TBA TBA
Charles F. Wells Scholarship One $850
Dr. Richard Wheeler Memorial Scholarship TBA $500

English Department (Writing Arts)

Helen Buckley Award in English Writing Arts TBA  TBA
Charles F. & Miriam B. Davis Writing Arts Award TBA $300 total

Health and Wellness Department

David Campbell Memorial Fund One $200
Arwin A. Hamm, Jr ’22 Award One Plaque

History Department

Riley Ham Award One $135
Mahar Memorial History Award One $225
Virginia L. Radley Fellowship One $2,000
 Honors Program    
William S. Barnes ‘33 Honors Program Scholarship One $1,100
Patti McGill Peterson Honors Program Award     
One $800

International Education

Colleen Brunner Memorial Scholarship TBA TBA
International Education Scholarships TBA TBA
Thomas Jacobsen ’77 Memorial Scholarship One TBA
Daniel McCarthy Memorial Scholarship TBA TBA

Marketing and Management Department

Dr. John Parr Scholarship One $450

Mathematics Department

Helen B. Daly Mathematics Award Two $1,250
Modern Languages and Literatures Department    
Margaret C. Nation Scholarship One $400

Music Department

Maurice O. Boyd One $500
Carlos Manobianco Scholarship TBA TBA
Music Memorial Scholarship TBA TBA
Oswego Festival Chorus Scholarship TBA TBA
Diane Lucy Ouckama Memorial One $500
Sophie Sarat Welling ’34 Memorial Scholarship One $500
“Doc” Soluri Memorial Endowed Scholarship One $500

Psychology Department

David J. King Psychology Department Honors Project Award One $50
William G. McGarvey Outstanding Senior Award in Psychology One Up to $500
The Outstanding Senior in Human Development Award One Up to $200
Psychology Club Undergraduate-Scholars Grant Program Cindy Sprague Grants One Up to $200
Cindy Sprague Grants  One Up to $200
Helen B. Daly Undergraduate Award for Excellence in Psychological Research    
Public Justice Department    
Luciano J. Iorizzo Scholarship One $400
Raymond Joseph Stastny Scholarship One $500

Sociology Department

W. Seward Salisbury Award One TBA

Technology Department

Carlotta L. Hamm Award One $100
Department of Technology Memorial Fund One $725
James R. Hastings Award One Certificate
James ’41 and Nina ’43 Hastings Scholarship One $500
Robert Davis Helsby Memorial Scholarship One $600
William R. Keener Sr. ’30 Memorial Scholarship One $2,700
Claude W. Weyant Award One Certificate

Theatre Department

John & Ida Mincher Theatre Scholarship TBA $1,000 total
Kathleen Pendergast Memorial Scholarship  One $450

Vocational Teacher Preparation Department


National Business Education Association Award of Merit

One One-year Membership

Women’s Studies

Women’s Studies/Women Aloud  One $250
Women’s Studies/Diana Balmori Award One $850

Graduate Scholarships

William S. Barnes ’33 Graduate Award One $500
The Stephen & Ann Coco Graduate Scholarship One $3,500
Dorothy & Arthur Eichinger Memorial Scholarship One $280
Thomas & Shirley Gooding Graduate Award One $1,000
William Steve Nikas Graduate Scholarship One $250
Dr. Barbara Irvine Shineman Scholarship TBA TBA
Donald Snygg Graduate Scholarship  One $1,000


The Helen Bohmer Daly Memorial Research Award TBA TBA
Helen B. Daly Award For Scientific Research   TBA $1,000

Other Resources


Libraries and Guidance Offices have books and other resources students may use to locate private sources of funding. Students may also check with religious and fraternal organizations with which they are affiliated. Many lending institutions have borrowing programs designed for financing college education.