Jul 27, 2017
Art Major, Graphic Design - 80 cr
Students seeking admission to a BFA degree are accepted separately through an application process directed by the department. Students can pick up a BFA application at the Art Department Office, 125 Tyler Hall or online at the Art Department’s homepage.
Successful applicants need to demonstrate that they possess an aptitude for hard work as evidenced by a well crafted portfolio, exemplary academic performance (preferably 3.0 GPA or higher), and writing skills as demonstrated by writing samples and transcripts.
A. Foundations Requirements - 16 cr
B. Core Requirements—Graphic Design - 37 cr)
- ART 209 - Typography credit: 3
Select one Studio Elective Drawing course from 2D Design, Drawing, Painting, Photography, Ceramics, Sculpture, or Illustration not previously taken.
Select one course from the following three; Transfer students who do not take ART 210 at SUNY Oswego must take ART 322
- ART 300 - Figure Drawing I credit: 3
- ART 310 - Drawing II credit: 3
- ART 322 - Drawing for Transfer Students credit: 3
- ART 307 - Type and Image credit: 3
- ART 309 - Digital Media: Motion and Interaction credit: 3
Select two courses (300 level study) from the following five; transfer students who do not take ART 207 at SUNY Oswego must take ART 323:
- ART 308 - Type and Image-Static credit: 3
- ART 312 - Introduction to Illustration credit: 3
- ART 313 - Digital Illustration I credit: 3
- ART 317 - Type and Image-Hypermedia credit: 3
- ART 323 - Digital Media for Transfer Students credit: 3
Select one 400 level course in Graphic Design, Digital Media, or Illustration.
- ART 414 - Graphic Design Practicum credit: 3
- ART 492 - BFA Exhibition credit: 1
Select three courses from Graphic Design, Digital Media, Illustration, Photograhy, Printmaking, or Art Synthesis not previously taken.
C. Core Requirements—Art History/Museum Studies - 15 cr
D. Department Electives - 12 cr
Select any four courses with the course prefix of ART or ARH not previously taken.
NOTE: Students must earn grades of C- or better in all courses credited to the major.
Art - Areas of Study for Majors and Minors
ART HISTORY–MODERN or CONTEMPORARY
STUDIO ART-2D DESIGN, DRAWING, and PAINTING
STUDIO ART 3D DESIGN, CERAMICS, and SCULPTURE
STUDIO ART-GRAPHIC DESIGN